In September, Google is making a significant change to how it notifies users about the security of the sites they are visiting in its Chrome browser.
So what’s the current situation?
- Sites which are correctly using an SSL cert (these sites are displayed using HTTPS rather than HTTP) get a green lock and a “Secure” notice in the address bar
- Sites which are not set up with an SSL cert do not have any notice in this space
- Sites which have an SSL cert which is incorrectly configured will be displayed with a warning
Next month, Google will flip all of this on its head (as they like to do!). Once their change is in place, users are going to potentially become more aware of whether your site is seen as secure by Google or not.
- Sites which are still using http, or sites using https which is not correctly set up, will display a red warning with an exclamation mark
- Sites which are securely set up with https will initially display a grey lock icon and eventually no icon at all
What is the reason for the change?
Google claims that users should be able to assume that the web is safe, by default, and that their attention should be drawn to sites where there is a doubt about how secure it is.
The reaction to the change has been mixed, with many feeling that a green icon showing when a site is secure is a nice reassurance for users, but Google seems set on making the change to its browser so users will have little choice but to adjust to the new setup.
What does this mean for my website?
Well, the obvious thing is that you must make sure that your website has an SSL cert, is set to load as https by default and is correctly set up so the browser is showing no errors in terms of security.
Coppertops managed sites are set up with an SSL cert on https by default and have been checked to ensure that there will be no errors displayed in the browser.
Latest posts by Andrea (see all)
- Is your site ready for Chrome’s security switch? - September 11, 2018
- Have you enabled Google Safe Browsing on your website? - February 19, 2018
- Should you choose WordPress or Squarespace for your business? - February 16, 2018